InterContinental Hotels Group pledges to remove plastic straws from hotels globally
Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG) has revealed that it will remove plastic straws from its hotels worldwide by the end of 2019.
The hotel company's decision will help to eliminate 50mn single-use plastic straws on average from over 5,400 IHG branded hotels annually.
Laid end-to-end, the company said that the removed straws would span 10,500 kilometres, the equivalent of a trip from New York to Tokyo.
- The October issue of FDF World magazine is out now!
- Bakery firm Hovis adds electric vehicles to delivery fleet as part of sustainability drive
- PepsiCo partners with Loop Industries for 100% sustainable plastic packaging
Keith Barr, Chief Executive Officer at IHG, said: “IHG is in almost 100 countries and we touch the lives of millions of people each day.
"This gives us a responsibility to protect the environment and an opportunity to make a real difference.
“There is always more we can do to minimise waste, but the work we’re doing to reduce single-use plastic is a powerful example of how we can come together with guests, owners and colleagues to drive positive change.”
So far, IHG has removed straws from nearly 1,000 hotels across Europe, Middle East, Asia and Africa.
Biodegradable alternatives to plastic straws will be available for those guests who need them.
Additionally, the hotel company is also working to move away from miniature bathroom amenities.
Instead, IHG hopes to introduce bulk-size bathroom amenities in several of its hotel brands in the Americas, as part of its efforts to reduce waste.
“IHG’s committed action to reduce plastic waste demonstrates its ability to be a force for good in local communities around the world," said Madhu Rajesh, director of the International Tourism Partnership.
"With initiatives like these, and through close industry collaboration, the hotel and tourism industry can continue to lead the way in setting clear and quantifiable commitments that improve sustainability.”
- MxG Fiber's sustainable packaging gets crowdfunding supportFood
- IHG signs deal with Al Arabiya Real Estate Company to bring Staybridge Suites to KuwaitHotels & Hospitality
- PepsiCo aims to use 25% recycled plastic packaging by 2025Drink
- IHG to debut avid hotels in Europe after signing deal with German hotel operator GS StarHotels & Hospitality