Jollibee, the world’s largest Asian food chain, is coming to the UK
The world’s largest Asian food chain, Jollibee Food Corporation, is set to open its first ever restaurant in the UK.
The move is the latest step in an aggressive expansion drive by the Philippine company, which already has more than 4000 restaurants worldwide.
Chief Executive Ernesto Tanmantiong said: “We aim to become one of the top five restaurant companies in the world.
“Opening our first store in the United Kingdom brings us one step closer to realizing this vision.”
- Phillippines' Jollibee plans to open 500 more stores worldwide as part of overseas drive
- Jollibee Food Corporation invests $24.9mn in Tim Ho Wan franchise in Asia-Pacific
- An in-depth look at the booming chocolate store concept: Q&A with the co-founder of Cacao 70
The new restaurant will be Jollibee’s second in Europe as, earlier this year, it opened a store in Milan, Italy.
Set to open on 20 October, the new store will be located in Earl’s Court Road, Earl’s Court, London. The location was selected, says Jollibee, because it is historically home to London’s biggest Filipino community.
Currently, 30% of Jollibee’s sales come from stores outside of the Philippines, including sales from both company-owned and franchise stores.
However, according to Nasdaq, the company’s founder Tony Tan Caktiong is hoping to grow that to 50% over the next five years.
Earlier this year, Jollibee took majority control of American burger firm Smashburger, signalling its intentions to further penetrate the North American market.
It also recently acquired 47% of Mexican restaurant concept Tortas Frontera and 45% of Titan Dining L.P, the master franchise holder of the Tim Ho Wan brand.
- Monster Beverages generates over $1bn in net sales in Q3 thanks to international expansionDrink
- Marriott International to grow branded residential portfolio by more than 70% by 2022Hotels & Hospitality
- Mondelez International launches operations in BangladeshFood
- Chick-fil-A starts international franchise expansion in TorontoFranchising