National Doughnut Day: Which flavors and brands are the USA’s favorite?
Friday June 2nd marks National Doughnut Day in the US, established in1938 to honour the women of the Salvation Army who served doughnuts to soldiers during World War I.
To conduct the NationalToday.com/Postmates Doughnut Index, Postmates – a popular universal delivery app - partnered with the data scientists at NationalToday.com to ask 1,000 Americans about their doughnut-eating habits.
Having stood the test of time for almost 80 years, many companies are embracing one of America’s favorite snacks today. Here are some stats from the research by Postmates and NationalToday.com:
- 96 percent of Americans are nuts for doughnuts
- 56 percent of Americans absolutely love doughnuts, and 40 percent like them.
- Only three percent of Americans claim to dislike doughnuts, while one percent hate them.
- 44 percent of Americans say they've never brought doughnuts to their co-workers, while 56 percent have.
- 51 percent of Americans say they think more highly of people who bring doughnuts into the office. Only 2 percent of people say it would worsen their opinion, while 47 percent of Americans don't care either way.
When it comes to favorite flavors, glazed tops the charts (28 percent), followed by Boston cream (17 percent), chocolate frosted (16 percent), jelly filled (11 percent) and chocolate cake (seven percent).
Consumers’ favourite doughnut chain brands are Krispy Kreme (42 percent) and Dunkin’ Donuts (40 percent), with Shipley, Tim Hortons and Voodoo only collectively voted for by 10 percent of respondents.